9/11 Families United to Bankrupt Terrorism
Applaud The Miami Herald and The Sarasota Herald-Tribune (cont'd)
On June 5, former Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Bob Graham (D-FL), who also co-chaired the 9/11 Congressional Inquiry, filed a declaration in support of the FOIA request, writing, “I am troubled by what appears to me to be a persistent effort by the FBI to conceal from the American people information concerning possible Saudi support of the September 11 attacks.”
The 9/11 family members also seek information that would shed light on alleged Saudi financing of the terrorist attacks in their lawsuit, In Re Terrorist Attacks of September 11.
“Thank you to The Miami Herald and The Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Maybe someday soon we’ll finally get to hear the truth,” said Bill Doyle, father of Joseph M. Doyle who died in the World Trade Center. “As I said this past summer, the FBI wants its cake and to eat it too. On one hand, they say they have no evidence connecting the Sarasota Saudis to 9/11. On the other hand, they say releasing the information would threaten national security. Both of those things cannot be true. The Federal Court should not let them get away with it.”
The 9/11 Families United to Bankrupt Terrorism, a group comprised of over 6,000 family members of those killed and injured in the attacks of 9/11 that is using the civil legal system to pursue those who financed and provided support for those cowardly terrorist attacks. The case is In Re Thomas E. Burnett, Sr., et al. v. Al Baraka Investment & Development Corp., et al.; In Re Terrorist Attacks on September 11, 2001. The families are also pursuing passage of legislation, the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (JASTA-H.R. 3143/S. 1535) in Congress to guarantee that all those injured in or who had a loved one killed in a terrorist attack, will always have access to the courts to hold liable those who fund those terrorists and their attacks.
9/11 FAMILIES UNITED TO BANKRUPT TERRORISM IMPLORE PRESIDENT OBAMA
June 20, 2013
We have been denied the whole story by past and present administrations. Our efforts to seek the truth, accountability and justice have been thwarted time and time again by our own government for over 10 years. We may be disheartened but we are not defeated.
The crux of the problem is a persistent pattern of obfuscation and deflection into the parts of the investigation that shed light on who provided the financial and material assistance that made the attacks possible. Our plea is for you to bring your laudable pledge of transparency to the 9/11 investigation.
We ask you, Mr. President, to make public the complete unredacted 28 pages of Part Four of the 107th Congress’s Joint Inquiry into Intelligence Community Activities before and after the Terrorist Attacks of September 11, 2001. Those withheld pages involve information regarding “specific sources of foreign support for some of the September 11 hijackers while they were in the United States,” the report says.
Apparently, the decision to withhold these pages was made by President George W. Bush for unspecified reasons of national security. Others who have seen the material have long disagreed with that assessment. They include former Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Bob Graham (D-FL), who also co-chaired the Joint Inquiry. He has stated publicly that he believes that 95 percent of the material is safe for public consumption and that the pages were kept secret for reasons other than national security. He has further stated that the information had been “misclassified” and that though “the information may be embarrassing or politically damaging, its revelation would not damage national security.”
It is unconscionable that the incineration and disappearance in one day of nearly 3,000 innocent people, the injuries of thousand more and the long-term sickness and death of those who responded to the tragedy have not been enough to get the full force of the law, transparency and our government fully behind us. This adds insult to injury.
Shortly after you took office in 2009, you promised a group of family members and survivors meeting in your office that you would release the 28 pages from the 9/11 Joint Congressional Inquiry. This has not yet happened.
In 2011, with your leadership, our brave troops tracked down Osama bin Laden and killed him, ending a painful chapter for us, but not ending the grief. We thank you and our troops for that action. However, we must ask, is it fair to keep an entire generation of survivors’ and victims’ families from finding out the complete truth about who gave financial support and who among them was living within our borders and supporting the 19 hijackers?
The transparency begins with the 28 pages, but it extends much further. For example, we are closely monitoring a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit in which plaintiffs are suing the U.S. Department of Justice and the FBI in U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, regarding an investigation involving a Saudi family, former residents of Sarasota, FL, who may have provided aid or assistance to the 9/11 hijackers. We understand that plaintiffs in that case have also requested Part Four of the report of the Joint Inquiry.
truth may keep us from moving on, but worse, we fear it is a threat to
our national security. Only by shining light on the terror financing
networks, do we dry them up.
As a start, we
are asking you to keep the promise you made so many years ago. A
promise we believed in. A promise that gave us hope.
The Plaintiffs Steering Committee
Beverly and Thomas E. Burnett, Sr., Eden Prairie, MN
The 9/11 Families United to Bankrupt Terrorism
This group is comprised of over 6,000 family members of those killed and injured in the attacks of 9/11. They are united in the cause of pursuing justice and deterring future terrorist attacks. To do so, they are using the civil legal system to pursue those who financed and provided material support for those cowardly terrorist attacks. The case is In Re Thomas E. Burnett, Sr., et al. v. Al Baraka Investment & Development Corp., et al., Case No. 03-CV-9849 (GBD); In Re Terrorist Attacks on September 11, 2001, 03 MDL 1570. The families are represented by complex civil litigation firm Motley Rice LLC.
A 9/11 Widow Speaks out (Cont'd)
Yes, Congress did turn its attention to these issues in the fall of 2001, and I am grateful for that. But it is the knowledge of what was withheld by our own government from Congress and what the federal courts have done through misguided interpretations of the law that should leave us shaking with rage – a healthy, well-deserved rage.
Terry Strada is the widow of Tom Strada, 104th Floor, North Tower and a member of 9/11 Families United to Bankrupt Terrorism see: justiceagainstterrorism.org and https://www.change.org/petitions/act-now-to-pass-the-justice-against-sponsors-of-terrorism-act-jasta
June 13, 2013
A Request for the TRUTH
Broward Bulldog editor, Dan Christensen with award-nominated authors Anthony Summers and Robbyn Swan have officially filed a request for the ".... complete, unredacted copies of all 28 withheld pages of Part Four of the 107th Congress’s Joint Inquiry into Intelligence Community Activities before and after the Terrorist Attacks of September 11, 2001."
To read the documents see:http://www.browardbulldog.org/foia-lawsuit/
June 7, 2013
9/11 Family Members Demand the FBI ‘Come Clean’
By Dan Christensen and Anthony Summers, BrowardBulldog.org
A group representing 6,600 survivors and relatives of those killed and injured in the 9/11 attacks called on the FBI Thursday to “come clean” about its investigation of Saudis in Florida who may have aided the terrorist hijackers.
June 6, 2013
9/11 Family Members Demand FBI to Come Clean
Former Senator and 9/11 Congressional Investigation Co-Chair, Bob Graham,
The Steering Committee of the 9/11 Families United To Bankrupt Terrorism publicly endorsed the efforts of investigative reporters Dan Christensen and Anthony Summers and call on the FBI to come clean regarding an investigation involving a Saudi family, former residents of Sarasota, FL, who may have provided aid or assistance to the 9/11 hijackers. Christensen along with BrowardBulldog.org have filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit to gain access to documents they have been denied. The plaintiffs are suing the U.S. Department of Justice and the FBI in U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida.
June 3, 2013
Mystery of Sarasota Saudis deepens as Justice moves end FOI lawsuit citing national security
By Dan Christensen and Anthony Summers, BrowardBulldog.org
A senior FBI official has told a Fort Lauderdale federal judge that disclosure of certain classified information about Saudis who hurriedly left their Sarasota area home shortly before 9/11 “would reveal current specific targets of the FBI’s national security investigations.”See the article on browardbulldog.org
London-based oil executive linked to 9/11 hijackers
A Saudi Arabian accused of associating with several of the September 11 hijackers and who disappeared from his home in the United States a few weeks before the attacks on the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon, is in London working for his country’s state oil company.
Abdulaziz al-Hijji and his wife Anoud left three cars at their luxurious home in a gated community in Sarasota, Florida — one of them new — and flew to Saudi Arabia in August 2001. The refrigerator was full of food; furniture and clothing were left behind; and the swimming pool water was still circulating.
September 20, 2012
THE SENATE JUDICIARY COMMITTEE PASSES JASTA!
On Behalf of the 9/11 Families United to Bankrupt Terrorism
SENATORS TAKE BOLD STEP FORWARD TO ACHIEVE JUSTICE FOR FAMILY MEMBERS AND ALL AMERICANS, ACCOUNTABILITY FOR 9/11 TERRORIST BANKROLLERS
WASHINGTON, D.C.– In a bold move to empower 9/11 family members and survivors to achieve justice by holding accountable all who aid and abet terrorism, the Senate Judiciary Committee today approved the bipartisan Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (JASTA/S. 1894).
Read the press release
September 11, 2012
Congressman Dan Lungren Statement on Request from
Washington DC– Today in an article in the Huffington Post, former Senator Bob Graham (D-FL), who chaired the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence and co-Chair of the Congressional Joint Inquiry into 9/11, and Sharon Premoli, a survivor of the attack on the North Tower of the World Trade Center,are calling for a re-opening of the investigation into the events of 9/11.
September 11, 2012
Calls for New 9/11 Investigation and the Passage of JASTA
Re-Open the 9/11 Investigation Now
The passage of time since September 11, 2001, has not diminished the distrust many of us feel surrounding the official story of how 9/11 happened and, more specifically, who financed and supported it. After eleven years, the time has come for the families of the victims, the survivors and all Americans to get the whole story behind 9/11.
Yet the story of who may have facilitated the 19 hijackers and the infrastructure that supported the attacks -- a crucial element of the narrative -- has not been told. The pieces we do have underscore how much more remains unknown.
June 8, 2012
Representatives Lungren and Nadler Introduce Bill to Hold Foreign Sponsors of Terrorism Accountable
Washington DC – Congressmen Dan Lungren (R-CA) and Jerrold Nadler (D-NY) have joined together to introduce H.R. 5904, the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (JASTA). H.R. 5904 would allow victims of terrorism to hold accountable all states who sponsor and finance terrorist activities. It is the House companion to bipartisan legislation in the Senate, S. 1894.
“We have joined together to introduce this important piece of legislation to make clear to state sponsors of terrorism and others who finance these heinous acts that they will be held accountable. The courthouse door should not be closed to victims of terrorism and their families,” Lungren said. “We strongly agree with Judge Richard Posner’s statement that ‘Suits against foreign financiers of terrorism can cut the terrorist’s lifeline.' Our proposal is aimed at doing that very thing.”
Current law was intended to permit victims of terrorism to bring suit against foreign states and entities that sponsor terrorism in the United States. Unfortunately, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals disallowed claims made by the victims of the 9-11 attacks against the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, several Saudi officials and a purported charitable organization under the control of the Kingdom. This decision was rendered despite the acknowledgement by the court that the September 11 plaintiffs’ complaints offered a “wealth of detail… that, if true, reflect close working arrangements between ostensible charities and terrorist networks, including al Qaeda.”
“Foreign governments that aid terrorists materially or otherwise must be held accountable,” said Nadler. “Victims of terrorist attacks have the right to seek recourse from those who, criminally, provide the financial means to bring horrific acts of terrorism to fruition. I am pleased to join my colleague on the Judiciary Committee, Dan Lungren, in offering this important piece of legislation.”
JASTA would allow the victims and their families of the attacks on 9-11 to reinstate their case to achieve justice and make it clear that future victims of terrorism in the United States will have the ability to bring suits in U.S. courts against foreign states and others who finance terrorism. Among other things, it would:
March 3, 2012
Senators Bob Graham and Bob Kerrey write Affidavits supporting allegations
Saudi Arabia May Be Tied to 9/11, 2 Ex-Senators Say
By ERIC LICHTBLAU
WASHINGTON DC — For more than a decade, questions have lingered about the possible role of the Saudi government in the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, even as the royal kingdom has made itself a crucial counterterrorism partner in the eyes of American diplomats.
Now, in sworn statements that seem likely to reignite the debate, two former senators who were privy to top secret information on the Saudis’ activities say they believe that the Saudi government might have played a direct role in the terrorist attacks.
January 22, 2012
The Justice Department vs the Families and Survivors
U.S. fights to keep $6.6 million in al-Qaeda assets
By Chris Mondics, Inquirer Staff Writer
In a ferocious legal battle pitting government lawyers against victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks, the Justice Department is fighting to block thousands of individuals and businesses from taking $6.6 million in frozen al-Qaeda assets seized from an alleged terrorism financier.
Frozen by the U.S. Treasury Department in 2007, the money is sought by the attorneys for 6,000 individual victims and insurers who suffered billions in losses from the attacks on the World Trade Center.
November 18, 2011
We Have Progress!
Prospects Improve for Sept. 11 Suits Against Nations
By ERIC LICHTBLAU
WASHINGTON — A series of surprise developments in the courts and Congress has given thousands of Sept. 11 victims perhaps their best chance in the 10 years since the attacks to press lawsuits against Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan and other nations that they believe were financially complicit.
Media CoverageRead The New York Times article entitled, "Prospects Improve for Sept. 11 Suits Against Nations"
Read the Vanity Fair article on "The Kingdom and The Towers"
Read the Daily Beast article on "The Keys to the Kingdom"
We Thank our Senators for their Support
The letter below was sent to Senator Schumer and all the JASTA co-sponsors:
December 12, 2011
The Honorable John Cornyn
Dear Senator Cornyn:
On behalf of the 9/11 Families United to Bankrupt Terrorism, we write to express our profound gratitude for your original co-sponsorship of the Justice Against Sponsors of Terrorism Act (or “JASTA” S.1894). Your leadership on this issue is so greatly appreciated and is vital to our nation’s future security.
Now, more than ever, the imperative to end terrorist financing and support is central to the United States’ security. Thanks to support from lawmakers like you, our brave men and women in uniform have disrupted much of the physical capabilities of al Qaeda. Now is the time to cut off its funding and starve it to death before it rebuilds. As the famous line from “All The President’s Men” goes, “follow the money.” That is what JASTA will allow us, and those who might experience future terrorist attacks, to do.
When we heard the news that Osama bin Laden was dead, many of us felt a sense of relief that this evil mass murderer had finally been stopped. However, many terrorists and, equally important, the people who financed and supported Bin Laden are still walking around free, having completely evaded accountability for our injuries and the deaths of nearly 3,000 loved ones on September 11, 2001. S. 1894 will change that.
As you know, this urgently-needed legislation will undo the Second Circuit’s misguided ruling and restore the longstanding intent of Congress to empower victims of terrorist attacks and their loved ones to help defend our nation by holding accountable those whose money and material support financed the deaths and injuries of innocent citizens.
Your support of JASTA will close an unconscionable gaping hole in homeland security, and we pledge our support to work with you for its swift passage. Thank you.
Thomas and Beverly Burnett, Sr., Northfield, MN
The 9/11 Families United to Bankrupt Terrorism is comprised of over 6,600 family members of those killed in the attacks of 9/11 and those injured as well. We are united in the cause of pursuing justice and deterring future terrorist attacks. To do so, we are using the civil legal system to pursue those who financed and provided support for those cowardly terrorist attacks. The case is In Re Thomas E. Burnett, Sr., et al. v. Al Baraka Investment & Development Corp., et al., Case No. 03-CV-9849 (GBD); In Re Terrorist Attacks on September 11, 2001, 03 MDL 1570.