Legal Aid legal aid

If you’ve been charged with a crime, ask your solicitor or barrister if you’re able to get criminal legal aid. Under Article 6 ECHR everyone has the general right is ‘to a fair … hearing’ in the determination of civil rights and obligations or of any criminal charge. This implies an appropriate degree of ‘equality of arms’. Criminal legal aid helps people charged with a criminal offence. Civil legal assistance helps people to get legal advice and representation in civil cases. The clinics are for people who are not eligible for legal aid and cannot afford to pay for a lawyer.

If you can’t get legal aid, there’s a small chance you might get help through ‘exceptional case funding’. You’ll only get guidance on whether or not you can get legal aid – you will not get a final decision until you speak to an adviser. To help us improve GOV.UK, we’d like to know more about your visit today. Don’t worry we won’t send you spam or share your email address with anyone. Protecting your legal rights is challenging when dealing with Mental Health issues.

For queries or advice about employment rights, contact the Labour Relations Agency. You must log in to your nidirect account before you can create your LAMS account. Your case must be referred to the Advoate by a solicitor or advice agency such as a Citizens Advice, law centre or MP.

Call the solicitor’s office to find out if they want you to bring any particular documents, such as a passport. You should make a note beforehand of what you need to say and find out. You could speak to an adviser at your nearest Citizens Advice to help you decide what questions to ask the solicitor. You can find out how to apply for exceptional case funding without using a legal professional on the Public Law Project website. If your case is going to court or a tribunal, you might get a volunteer barrister to represent you for free through Advocate.

Report Legal Aid Fraud

It’s a good way to find out whether it’s worth taking someone else to court or if you have a case that’s worth defending. You can also contact your nearest Citizens Advice to ask if they have a list of legal aid solicitors. There are 2 types of legal aid, for criminal and civil cases. Check if you can get legal aid to get help with civil cases. Your legal adviser will usually apply for legal aid on your behalf.

  • Advice and assistance helps to pay for advice from a solicitor on any point of Northern Ireland law, for example trying to settle a dispute without going to court.
  • It is often worth exploring this option before considering taking legal action.
  • Think about what other organisations you’ve joined that might help.
  • The solicitor will assess a person’s income and decide their financial eligibility under the “Green Form” scheme.

You might be able to take out a special insurance policy before the court case that’ll cover your costs if you lose. If you lose, you won’t usually pay your solicitor’s fee but you’ll still have to pay something. You might have to pay the other side’s costs and you might have to pay your solicitor’s expenses, for example, for medical or accident reports. A free or fixed-fee appointment can help you find out your rights and legal position.

Learn More About Citizens Advice

Library Law Society library Our law library is free for members to use and offers a range of services to help with your research. We are the voice of solicitors, driving excellence in the profession and safeguarding the rule of law. Consultation responses We develop policy in response to proposals for changes in the law, which come from a variety of sources, including government departments and non-governmental organisations. Get advice on giving evidence in court as a witness or a victim including where to get help and support.

My LS gives you access to the latest news, events, books and resources to help you excel within your practice. legal aid deserts Our campaign raises awareness of cuts which have left large areas of England and Wales without access to advice. Take 3 minutes to tell us if you found what you needed on our website.Your feedback will help us give millions of people the information they need. Speak to your shop steward or workplace representative or contact your union’s head office to see if they can give you free legal help.